Thursday, July 7, 2011

Italian "Sandwich"

I've tried several different kinds of gluten free bread and just do not like it. I love sandwiches but if the bread tastes bad, then there's no way I'm going to eat one. My mom gave me the idea to make a lettuce wrap instead. I took random ingredients I had on hand and it turned out to be really good. Even if you're not allergic to gluten, this is a carb free dish which makes it a healthier alternative to a real sandwich :)



Ingredients:
Hearts of romaine lettuce
4 slices fresh mozzarella
drizzle of balsamic vinegar
handful of cherry tomatoes cut in half
4 slices of salami (make sure it's gluten free- I found some at Trader Joe's)

Directions:
Lay out a piece of lettuce. Put two slices of mozzarella on top and drizzle with vinegar. (The mozzarella will soak it up) Stack 2 slices of salami and a few cherry tomatoes and place other piece of lettuce on top to make it a sandwich. (makes 2 lettuce wraps)

Note: Next time I make this, I'll probably use a head of lettuce instead. That way, you can roll all the ingredients up like a taco which would make it easier to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment