Thursday, July 21, 2011

My Very First Meatloaf

Growing up, my family use to eat meat loaf pretty regularly. When I saw regularly, I really mean like maybe once every month or so. To me, that was way too often. I was never a fan of meatloaf. Actually.. that's a lie. I hated meatloaf with a passion. I am still questioning myself as to why I decided to try meatloaf again.. Has my pallet changed? Am I growing up? I don't have the answer. All I know is that for some reason I was craving red meat and decided to make this recipe that I found in a gluten free cook book. I know my Mom will be extremely surprised to see that I made this. So Mom, next time I'm home, I give you permission to make meatloaf. =)

It tastes like heaven. The fresh herbs add so much flavor. Everyone should try it. Seriously.

Ingredients:
1/2 teaspoon canola oil to grease dish
2 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 medium yellow onion, diced finely
3 large eggs
1/2 cup GF breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
1 tablespoon finely chopped Italian parsley
1 tablespoon chiffonade fresh basil
4 dashes GF Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
sea salt and black pepper to taste
2 cups low sodium chicken stock
2 cups ketchup
5 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
1 sprig fresh rosemary

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and grease a 9x11-inch loaf pan.

In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, onion, eggs, breadcrumbs, garlic, oregano, parsley, basil, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard. Season with salt an pepper. Stir everything together. (your hands work best) If you want to be sure everything is seasoned just right, take a small patty and cook it like a little hamburger. I was impatient and skipped this part in hopes that my loaf would taste great, and it did.

Put the meat in the pan and cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.

As the meatloaf cooks, combine stock, ketchup, garlic, and rosemary in a large saucepan. Bring to boil then reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain the glaze. (the finished product should be the consistency of molasses)

Remove the foil from the meatloaf after 45 minutes and spread the glaze over the meat using a pastry brush. Brush the top every 15 minutes or so until it is done. (this should take another 45 minutes)

Once cooked through, allow the meat to rest for at least 10 minutes. Cut yourself a piece and use the extra sauce for dipping. Leftovers make great sandwiches!

No comments:

Post a Comment